Cruise our newly launched route along the Brisbane River and celebrate 30 years of the Batty Boat Cruise. Visit the flying foxes near New Farm Park and watch them fly over at sunset on their nightly feeding expedition. Meet orphaned baby bats onboard and hear educational commentaries about bats and the river along the way.
When our cruises started in 1984, the sky at Indooroopilly would be full of up to 160,000 flying foxes flying out from their Island roost to feed. But our environment is ever changing − bat numbers are decreasing, food availability alters, vegetation changes &minus and bats move to roosts that better meet their needs, so we have redirected the cruise to the Norman Park colony.
Join us during our 2015−2016 Summer season, and help keep the Batty Boat Cruise tradition alive!
Cruise dates and times
- Sunday 21th February 2016
- Sunday 20th March 2016
Cruises depart late afternoon whatever the weather and tickets are not refundable.
About the cruise
- The MV Neptune leaves from Mowbray Park East Brisbane.
- Cruise departs late afternoon and lasts approx 3 hours.
- Learn about the Brisbane River, its history and landmarks.
- Listen to expert commentary about flying foxes and wildlife along the Brisbane River.
- Meet on-board orphaned bats and their carers.
- Visit the Norman Park flying fox camp at sunset and watch the flying foxes leave on their nightly foraging expedition (flying fox numbers vary and numbers cannot be guaranteed).
- Buy souvenirs of your trip and wildlife books and gifts. More about flying foxes.
Eat and Drink
Hot snacks can be purchased on board. Tea and coffee, soft drinks and bar service available. (Please, no BYO alcohol or eskies.)
Batty Boat Cruises is one of Wildlife Queensland's most successful public education initiatives. Since 1984 Batty Boat Cruises have introduced hundreds of people every summer to the fascinating world of the flying-fox, or fruit bat.
$32.00 each adults
$16.00 children (3-15 years)
$85 family (2 adults, 2 children)
BOOK YOUR TICKETS TODAY!